Tuesday 18 February 2014

Extreme Measures!

It’s 10 weeks and counting until we do the Moon Walk in London, so at the weekend, Lucy and I decided to up our training. So on Sunday, we set ourselves the target of walking 10 miles, which was double what we’d done in the past and most importantly earn me 22 bonus points!




  After 5 miles, we stopped for a wee, a brew and something to eat. As we started our return trip, I think we felt mildly confident that this would be easy, however 7 miles in, extreme mardiness set in. Our feet hurt, our hips hurt, we stuck in the middle of the woods….no one could hear us scream! Even Cyril was starting to look mildly fed up!



  Realising there was nothing for it, but to walk, we carried on for the full 10 miles and as we took the final few slow steps towards Lucy’s front door, I don’t think we were actually picking our feet up anymore, it was more of Geisha girl type shuffle.

  The only thing that put a smile on our faces was the fact that we had burnt off 1405 calories! If we were celebrities that would have been a whole week’s worth of calories!



  My Sunday evening was spent on the sofa watching “The Big Bang Theory” and flicking through “Heat” magazine and praying Matt Goss would turn up to make me a brew.

 It’s the time of year, where such magazines are full of celebrities who decided to release a fitness DVD at Christmas and are now moaning about the fact they’re too skinny or they have no boobs left. They're also full of those celebs  who were pictured over Christmas looking fat, but are now exercising in the park wearing lime green cycling shorts and a crop top (no publicity please, I’m not doing this for attention, I just want to get fit)

  An article about Holly from “Geordie Shore” caught my eye, because she had shunned both of these things in favour of something a bit more extreme! Corseting.

  Corseting is the art of strapping your torso into a corset and tying it tightly so that your waist gets thinner. Holly (by her own admission) was trying to achieve the waist of a Victoria’s Secret model, so she was wearing the corset for 23 hours a day, even sleeping in it! Her waist started at 31 inches and by the time she'd been strapped up, she was down to 26 1/2 inches!



  Now I think Holly is a pretty girl, but it just seemed to me, she was just causing herself pain for reasons I couldn't understand, I think she already has a lovely figure. All I kept thinking was, "where on earth have her internal organs gone? ! The journalist, Olivia Cooke who wrote the article, even commented that Holly struggled to sit down, despite pretending it was all fine!

  I've only worn a corset once, it was to a "Moulin Rouge" themed ball and I think I cheated slightly, because I didn't tie it too tightly as I knew a 4 course meal was involved and I wanted to enjoy it!

  It set me thinking about the other extremes people go to, to stay thin and I found an article about a Venezuelan model who has a mesh on her tongue so that it makes it painful for her to eat solid foods, this (she feels) helps her keep her beauty Queen figure.


  Now don’t get me wrong, I want to be able to rock a size 10 dress as much as the next person and I would very much like to not have to pick my belly up when I roll over, but not at the expense of some bonkers scheme, which sees my lower intestine pushed up into my lung or preventing me eating sold foods!

  
For me my Slinky By Tuesday quest is as much about achieving a healthy state of mind as it is body. Having suffered from depression and lived in fear, half of my weight battle is about re-gaining my feeling of self worth and I’m doing that!

3 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of Jayne Mansfield and know she used to do this corseting. I'm not sure it's for me though. Sorry Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's where your organs go that worries me! I think your organs are where they're meant to be for a reason x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I had some fat pants once that claimed to knock you down two sizes. They hurt so much I had to take them off and stuff them in my handbag. It was wasn't pretty!

    ReplyDelete