Thursday 19 June 2014

Zumba - Shake, Shake, Shrink!

Chatting to a lady in my Just Jhoom class last week, and she suggested I tried the Zumba class on a Tuesday, because in her words it was a “beautiful” Now that description for reasons known only to my imagination conjured up images of Zumba done in an English country garden with us wafting flowers around whilst a little old lady with grey hair in a bun and rosy cheeks made us afternoon tea. As I said, I don’t know why I thought this! Maybe I just really like Afternoon tea?

  This class was probably one of the busiest I’ve ever been to, which I always think says a lot about the teacher. I snuck in at the back and got chatting to some lovely ladies, two of whom had been doing the class for 3 years and the other who had only had her tea 10 minutes beforehand and confided in me she was scared she would vomit, which in turn scared me that she might vomit on me!

  I had visions of Gloria Estefan being right and the minute the music started, the rhythm would indeed get me and I’d go from the Katie who was wearing a blue t-shirt and jogging bottoms to J Lo performing at the World Cup opening ceremony complete with slightly inappropriate green leotard and a hip thrust that could have your eye out.



  Sadly as I pranced around the floor trying to avoid my new friend being sick on me, a scene from my favourite film sprung to mind. As I looked at myself in the mirror I swear a vision of Corey Feldman playing Mouth in “The Goonies” appeared to me and over the cheerful samba music I heard cries of “do it” and me whining “ahhhh come on” a finer Chunk Truffle Shuffle tribute act better than me you wont find in all the land!




  I did think at one point my feet and arms had waged war against each other, because they certainly weren’t working in harmony. By the end of the class, I was more Bambi on ice than Brazilian goddess.


  I’m slightly feeling the after effects today, particularly after an energetic game of badminton with my friend Debbie, where we perfected the art of getting the shuttlecock wedged in the net. We like to think of it as the badminton version of the John Virgo trickshot. Still it wasn’t all bad one of the blokes from the over 60’s club who plays at the same time as us complimented us by saying “you’re getting better ladies”

  For those of you who've never been to or seen Zumba, this is what it's meant to look like!


All the shaking has paid off a little bit as I lost half a pound this week, not brilliant, but I'm trying to think a bag of sugar is pretty heavy!


No comments:

Post a Comment