Tuesday 17 May 2016

Doing it Like Dickens

I love Charles Dickens, he’s one of my favourite authors. I like the following things about him

1.     He writes good books
2.     You can always guess whether a character is going to be good or bad.

There’s none of this “oh my Dad didn’t understand me growing up, which is why I treat everyone like rubbish” nonsense, he goes for names that conjure up images of who they are. For example, Mr. Fezziwig (jolly character, described as a happy man with 3 daughters, who wore a powdered wig and a waistcoat)

Mr. Jagger’s, described as a burly man with a large head and large hands, prematurely bald with big bushy eyebrows. I always think he’s a bit spiky and hard for Pip to get to know, but ultimately he’s a good bloke...

and Scrooge, even saying the word sounds mean.

Sometimes stereotypes are good and sometimes they aren’t!

After a long day, I sat down with a magazine and realized it contained the headline

“The Body Debate – Curvy & Happy vs Skinny & Sad”


  I’ll save you the bother of reading it, I’m assuming their research went like this…



However, and here’s the bit where I feel like Einstein talking people through the theory of relativity or Patricia Fielding suggesting Carrie Bradshaw wear Manolas (probably more the second one) I reckon we are happy with whatever body we feel most comfortable in.

  I for example feel far better and more confident when I’m a bit slinkier, some people are perfectly happy with a fuller figure and some slinky people wish they could put a few pounds on. It’s whatever’s right for you.

  I remember saying to a flat chested friend, after she’d had a baby that I bet she loved having bigger boobs. She was horrified that I dare suggest such a thing because none of her couture fashion fitted her temporarily ample bosom. I was horrified, she wouldn’t like having bigger boobs, because I love mine!

 So here’s my scientific research



No comments:

Post a Comment