Thursday 17 October 2013

Light "cocks" and the Over 50's


So far, so good with my 30 day shred. There’s been body balance, which although I enjoyed I did think I’d broken a rib by Tuesday night because I was in so much pain. There’s been walks with Cyril, which in itself is like the most intense bingo wing walk out you’ll ever do, because he pulls so much and is so incredibly excited by everything.



  Today me and my friend Debbie decided we would dust off our badminton rackets and meet up for a game or two. Debbie and I have been friends for forever and between us must have tried every diet going, also once upon a time we used to play badminton. Deciding it was like riding a bike we booked a court. There were a couple of early issues…
1)     We couldn’t remember the rules
2)     We had no shuttlecocks
3)     Debbie had no joggers

The above issues were resolved in the following way
1)     Google
2)     I bought some
3)     Debbie bought some

Our chosen venue was the Festival Hall, where I played badminton as a child in Mrs Wilkinson’s after school badminton club (it may have had a snazzier title than that, but you get the gist) It was the location of many a childhood party, including Lucy's now infamous bouncy castle one, where my Mum spent most of the party jumping up and down on the bouncy castle!

badminton court


  When we arrived the receptionist said the over 50’s club were just finishing up, which was fine until Debbie pointed out that in 13 years we could join them! (I made a mental note to make new friends, only kidding Debs!)

  As it goes Debs and I may have inadvertently joined them a little bit sooner! As we got ourselves ready and thought we’d just start with a gentle knock about. It was at this moment Margaret and Carol took pity on us and decided that we would learn a lot quicker if they partnered up with us! Before we knew it and with what can only be described as military procession, Debs was partnering Margaret and Carol and I were their opponents.

  Margaret declared our “cocks far too light”, she probably said “shuttlecocks”, but we just heard the word “cock” and got the giggles! To say they had a good few years on us (Margaret told us she was 72!) They certainly gave us a run for our money! Eventually they had to leave as Margaret had another appointment (probably a quick 10K round Mansfield res or something) so Debs and I were left to our own devices.

  To say we hadn’t played in years, I think we gave a good account of ourselves and we both won a game each, even though at points we were so busy gossiping, we kept forgetting to keep score and which side we were meant to be serving from.

  Just as we were in the middle of game 2, Jeff** (**might not be his actual name) asked us if we were joining them next week and if we were to be there at 10, they had coffee at 11 and then continued playing. Before we knew it Debs and I were saying, “yes” in unison! I for one am looking forward to their Christmas do, because if the pictures on their notice board are anything to go by it’s a right laugh!

  On a more serious note I did earn 5 bonus points and have a right old giggle, so we’re going again next week, but with maybe slightly heavier (shuttle) cocks.

Me & Debs with a post badminton glow!

No comments:

Post a Comment