Tuesday 22 October 2013

"I'm Not Being Rude,but....." (insert insult of your choice here)


It really is true, if you want to lose weight you really do have to move more and eat less! My 30 day shred has been going well with trips to the gym, games of badminton and dog walks. In fact on Saturday me, Lucy and Laura took a trip to Whitby and played on the beach with Cyril, which he loved!



Me & Lucy in Whitby

Me & Laura in Whitby


  I’ve also been careful with what I’ve eaten, accounting for EVERY single point and would you believe it this week when I stepped on the scales, I did my happy wiggle because I’d lost a pound and a half and Lucy had lost 2! So basically it’s the same again for next week.

  The whole of the Trinder family are on a Slinky mission and following Weight watchers including my Dad. Since January he’s lost about 3 ½ stones and is looking really good. Dad will be the first to tell you that for most of his life he’s been a big chap and even as a child would point blank refuse to do P.E. In fact when one teacher said "Trinder, you'll get the cane if you don't do cross country", he opted for the cane! That's the thing about us Trinders, we don't respond to threats and sometimes we're just plain bloody minded! 

   Dad recently visited some “friends” and it was obvious that my Dad’s weight loss did not please them, because lest face it if you’re struggling with your own weight and someone else is doing well, it’s human nature to be a little bit jealous. The female was describing her recent holiday and how tiny the bathroom was, now keep in mind that this “lady” is more of Pat Butcher than Peggy Mitchell proportions, she said “I’m not being funny Ken, but with your backside you’d have struggled to fit on the toilet” Dad being the calm reasonable soul he is let this go. Having not got the reaction she wanted or indeed any reaction, she tried a different tact. This was offering Dad a cake whilst uttering the immortal words “I bet you miss eating cakes like these” Again she looked a little bit deflated when Dad told her he’d never really been a fan of cakes. **Memo to thin people, just because someone’s overweight doesn’t mean they spend all their time eating cake.

  This led to a conversation over the dinner table about backhanded compliments. These come in many shapes and sizes, but are normally pre-fixed by the phrase “I’m not being rude, but….” Or “I don’t want to upset you, but….” Apparently pre-warning someone of your intended rudeness makes it OK.

  Lucy was saying that someone she knows had said to her recently “I’m not being rude, but it’s a shame you’ve lost all your weight off your boobs” Having had her bazookas measured recently, she knows his isn’t the case. I remember a bloke saying to me once that I would be devastatingly beautiful if I wasn’t so fat and if I lost the weight he’d love to date me. I pointed out to him that not having to date him was a reason to stay fat!

  The first time I reached goal, I got down to 9 stone 10 (ahhh, we dare to dream) and I had stopped going to weight watchers for about 6 months, when I had to go the doctors. The doctor did his usual prodding and poking and made me get on the scales. As I gingerly stepped on fully aware that I had indulged in one slice of caramel shortcake too many for someone who was at goal, I was delighted when he said “you’re 9 stone 7” I was so excited when I got back I told my then boyfriend and my then friend, imagine my surprise when she said “oh I weigh the same, I didn’t think I was as fat as you”

  Losing weight triggers two reactions in people, there’s those who are so happy and supportive that it makes you realise just how amazing some of the people in your life really are and there are those that just want to feed you more cake and then slag you off behind your back for being fat!

2 comments: