Thursday 27 March 2014

Pectoralis Tendonitis

Over the years I have had many an injury. It’s a cross you bear when you’re as clumsy as me, some of them I think would be pretty hard to replicate! I broke my ankle when a boy racer reversed into me, he also broke my little toe, which I have to say at the time was far more painful than the ankle.

  This scar is the result of opening a microwave! Seriously, I opened the door and somehow got my wrist caught on it.


Microwave wrist scar!


  So it was really only a matter of time before pole dancing left me with a comedy injury. This week, we had a different instructor, who was less Amazonian goddess and more pocket rocket! This woman was 5ft 2 and at one point I felt the need to wave my arms around her because I thought she was on wires like Peter Pan in pantomime! As I tried (and failed) to replicate the teddy bear spin, (hold onto the pole and spin round with your legs wide open) a spin where you bring your knees into chest and a crucifix (climb the pole, grip it with your knees and hold both arms out to the side) I could feel bits of me start to bruise, pull and generally ache. A quite enthusiastic attempt at a teddy bear spin and I pulled something I have never pulled in my life, something I didn’t even know you could pull, my armpit! Before you scoff at the fact this isn’t possible, it is and it bloody hurts! My friend Michelle, who’s a doctor, said the technical term is pectoralis tendonitis and I needed to ice it. I went to bed with a bag of frozen peas under my arm….clearly pole dancing is making me sexier!

    Also this week, in a bid to boost my weight loss and earn lots of bonus points, I played squash for the very first time. I normally play badminton with my friend Debbie, upsetting the over 50’s as we kick them off the court we have booked so they can’t play for free (how unreasonable!) Anyway this week they’d apparently booked all the courts, for every time available for every day!

  Debs suggested we tried squash because she’s played before. I agreed! The man on reception told us to head down the corridor and knock on the white door.

This is the "white" door apparently


  Didn’t bode well did it? The court itself could have done with a 60 minute makeover and this handprint on the wall, chillingly reminded me of Yvonne Atkins from “Bad Girls” trying to escape the execution cell after Fenner locked her in. That episode gave me nightmares for weeks!

Scary Yvonne Atkins style handprint


  Once I’d put that out of mind, Debbie set about trying to teach me the rules, I kind of got it so we attempted a game.


  I can honestly say that squash is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had a go at, the sweat was pouring off of me by the end (what a lovely sexy image for you) and my sprained pectoralis tendonitis throbbed a bit! Still when I typed it into my weight watchers tracker, the fact I’d earned 15 bonus points doing it made me smile!

Me & Debs with a post squash rosy glow!
The general result was last night when I stepped on the scales I'd lost 3 pounds and I genuinely couldn't have been happier! It also meant that I got 6 pebbles, one for each 1/2 pound I'd lost and Lucy got 2 as she'd lost a pound. I think my new Weight watchers leader, Heather is clever, because as she hands you your pebbles and you put them in the basket, you feel 10 feet tall! (actually if I was 1 feet tall, I'd be seriously underweight!)

weightloss pebbles

No comments:

Post a Comment