Friday 14 November 2014

"What Have you Done to Your Hair?"

So week one of adjusting what I’ve been eating, I’ve heard friends of mine who are REALLY into fitness and healthy eating refer to it as “eating clean”. Not sure I’ve eaten totally clean, but it’s been less dirty than normal! And when I stepped on the scales this week, I’d lost a pound, so I was happy with that!

  It’s not been as hard as I thought to adjust, because to be honest there’s not been that much adjusting to do. Since I got my DNA fit results, the hardest thing for me is not just having toast every morning for breakfast, because it’s an easy option, or toast for my tea after a long day and I can’t be bothered to cook. I’ve actually been organised! 

Breakfast of yogurt, blueberries & nuts


Lucnh - Prawn Salad, Chopped stuff & Hummus 

I’ve only had carbs with one meal a day (normally my evening meal) I’ve eaten more fish and have been taking Vitamin D and Omega 3 supplements. I’ve also dragged my tired (yet fabulous) ass out of bed in the mornings to go to the gym before work. I may have only lost a pound, but I’m feeling loads better and the other day someone said “I think you’ve lost weight, you don’t look as fat round the middle” My friends say the sweetest things.

  I’ve still been counting my Weight Watchers points, so that I don’t go mental with portion sizes and attending meetings. It all appears to be working and I’m actually feeling pretty good about myself, or at least I was!

  Dad and I had to attend a funeral, as a long-term family friend had passed away. It was the first funeral either of us had been to since Mum died 4 years ago and it was in the church where Mum had sung in the choir as she was growing up, Mum and Dad had got married and Lucy and I were christened. So even despite it being the funeral of someone we really liked and admired, I think Dad and I were even more emotional. I spent a lot of time biting my lip and digging my nails into palm so I didn’t cry.

  As we sat down, we realised that the place was full of lots of our old neighbours and people we hadn’t seen for ages, so there was a lot of catching up to do. Dad was busily chatting to someone who used to live near us and she prodded the lady next to her and said, “Do you remember Ken, he used to live round the corner. The old bag looked Dad up and down and said “I didn’t recognise you because you’ve got so fat!”

  I stifled a giggle as Dad turned around muttering something about her being a rude old bag. Dad’s lost 4 stone and is looking great! However pride does indeed come before a fall, because as we were leaving, another old neighbour stopped us and had a chat with us. She hugged Dad, told him how well he looked and then just as I was about to hug her and say how nice it was to see her, she took a piece of my hair between her fingers, twirled it around between her finger and thumb and uttered

“What have you done to your hair????”

“Gone brunette” was my reply and I retracted my “I was going to hug you pose” and walked off.

Me, with my offensive brown hair


   Dad and I ended up having a real laugh about it all, which took our mind off the fact we’d just been to a funeral.

  There would have been a time when a comment like that would really have bothered me, I’d have made an appointment at the hairdressers to go back to being blonde, it would have played on my mind as I tried to work out why someone would say that to me and then ultimately I’d have turned to a pack of Oreos to make me feel better.
  

  Not now, I don’t care, even if that woman didn’t like my hair, I love my hair and I’m generally feeling better about myself and as I’ve already been told this week “I’m a bit less fat around the middle”

PS - If you've got an extra minute, please vote for me in the UK Blog Awards, thank you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment