Wednesday 21 October 2015

I'm a bit Green About Eating Clean and Lean!

Do you remember when Christopher Columbus realised the world was round and we didn’t have to sail in straight lines anymore (you probably don’t, it was the 15th Century) So then every explorer and his dog set off on a spherical adventure. 

*disclaimer, this photo isn't historically accurate


Then in the 16th Century Galileo upped the anti and went “hold on, I reckon there’s planets other than the earth, I’m pretty certain there’s a Solar system” (he probably said this in Italian and it probably took him a bit longer to reach that conclusion) but you get my point.

  I think dieting has become the same. First we should eat carbs, then we shouldn’t, then we should eat fat, then we should concentrate on a low fat diet, and then maybe just eat half a grapefruit and a bit of cottage cheese, the amount of diets that have been in fashion over the years is scary. Then eventually the dieting version of Columbus went, I think I know how you loose weight….



So that’s what people started to do and lo and behold, people started to lose weight, dieting mystery solved.

  However then the dieting version of Galileo went “yes that works well, but as well as eating less and moving more, you need to eat clean and lean” and everyone went “brilliant”

  Over the last few months, I’ve heard lots of my friends’ talk about eating clean and lean and quite frankly it confused me! All the food I eat is clean, because I wash and prepare it correctly! I buy lean meats, so am I eating clean and lean? Am I meant to be eating fat? If I do eat fat, it has to be good fat and low fat really isn’t good for me?

  There’s no wonder anyone without a degree in nutrition struggles to make sense of it!

  Now I’m a sensible kind of girl (well ish) so as I figured I needed to understand exactly what clean and lean meant, so I turned to Amazon, typed in “books about eating clean and lean” and discovered this bad boy!



  It had great reviews and James Duigan had worked with Elle McPherson, a lady known as “The Body”, it felt like the right choice. I can achieve an Elle body by next year? Right?

  When the book arrived, I spent a bit of time reading it and getting my head round what it really meant.

  It turns out basically just don’t eat any processed stuff! Eat fresh meat and fish. Green leafy vegetables are very good for you, berries are also an excellent choice, nuts are a good snack and there’s these things called mung beans and chia seeds, which you can sprinkle on salads.

  The book is full of recipes and being to cooking, what John Sargent was to dancing, it’s been a bit of a test. There were a few early pancake disasters, but it turns out raspberries can mask the taste of “burnt oats”, but I’m getting there.

A flipping disaster!

  I’ve even learnt to like avocado and been able to drink 2 and half litres of water a day, which apart from having to wee having 10 minutes is OK.

  I wouldn’t say I’ve totally perfected the art of eating lean and clean. There’s no section of the book that suggests red wine is an acceptable drink, so there have been a couple of slip ups, but there’s more good than bad eating days.



  So I shall  continue being a clean, lean, green eating machine, well that is of course until someone else pipes up with the dietary equivalent of walking on the moon!


PS – any clean, lean recipe ideas greatly received!

No comments:

Post a Comment