Thursday 15 October 2015

Do More of What Makes you Happy!

Work has been quite busy recently and yesterday I decided to take a break from presentation writing and head off to the gym to Just Jhoom, which I love! As I was stood waiting for the class to start, two ladies were having a chat, their conversation went like this:



 I’m pretty sure if the Bollywood music hadn’t kicked in, they’d have moved on to how they hate puppies, cupcakes and sunrises. They appeared to be deliberately trying to out-misery one another!

  This goes completely against what I’ve been working on the last few weeks. I’d been feeling really out of sorts and not my normal happy self. I spoke to my sister Lucy about it and she said “remember when that woman at work put in a complaint about me because I was too cheerful? I want to be that happy again”

  So it set me thinking, about what was making me unhappy. I came to the conclusion that I was generally just under appreciated and not doing anything to make me happy. I also realised that I was the one who wasn't appreciating myself and not doing any of the things that I enjoyed. 

So, I’ve spent the last couple of weeks really focusing on me and what makes me happy. I decided that at least once a day, I would take time out for me and do whatever the hell I pleased and I would also enjoy it!

  I’ve walked on the beach with Cyril, which is one of my favourite things to do. Sitting at one of the beachside cafes with a coffee, gossiping with Lucy and listening to the waves roll in and out.

Cyril on the beach

 I also re-introduced myself to my Kindle, finished off a book that I’d been trying to read since Christmas (quite fittingly a Jackie Cooper) and started another that I’d downloaded because someone recommended it. “The Girl in the Photograph” by Kate Riordan. So far so good, it reminds me a bit of “Rebecca”. Plus the sheer joy of spending half an hour sitting with a brew and reading is really helping, because I love it, I’ve always loved reading!

  I’ve also set aside time to go to the gym and do the classes I like, rather than trying to squeeze in a quick half an hour to walk on a treadmill, which I don’t really like. And although Cyril is limited in the walks he can do at the moment because he’s recovering from leg surgery, I’ve made sure those 10 minutes count. We’ve headed off to places I love, such as Newstead Abbey. We may as well have a 10 minute walk in what I think is the most beautiful place in Nottinghamshire!

Newstead Abbey

The result of all this? Well I feel better and as a result my diet has been better, I’m eating far healthier, I’m happier, my trousers are getting loser again and I’m not using food as a way of cheering myself up. In fact for the first time in ages, I don’t have any chocolate in the house! Not even an “in case of emergency bar”

   

No comments:

Post a Comment