Thursday 4 September 2014

The Great Katie Bake Off

First full week back at Weight Watchers and I’ve lost a pound. Secretly I was hoping it would be more, but hey a pound off is a pound gone and it puts me back on the weight loss road! I've also managed to fit in two zumba classes, one Just Jhoom class and I even turned down a bit of caramel shortcake one  particularly stressful!

Now as much as I love cake, I hate watching programmes where people cook, I just don’t get the attraction. The fact people get so wound up about TV shows like “The Great British Bake Off” amazes me. However the headline “Baked Alaska Scandal”, which apparently was worthy enough to make the front of most British newspapers and “Heat” magazine (step aside alleged Beyoncé / Kim K feud,  dissing someone's baked goods is where it's at) 

   From what I can gather some bloke with a beard made a Baked Alaska and some woman with grey hair could have possibly left the fridge door open and ruined it. He threw it in the bin and she left because she wasn’t very well. The beardy man has since said it was nothing to do with the lady, he just made a crap Baked Alaska. CONTROVERSIAL! And if I'm honest I have no idea what a baked Alaska even is!

  I decided it was time to create a bit of controversy in my own kitchen this week by actually using it for something other than making a cup of coffee!



  So on Saturday afternoon as the mighty Stags took on Burton Albion and the commentary blared out, I decided to get my bake on.

  Having trawled my Weight Watchers cookbooks, I decided to give sausage rolls a go. Now let me say if you’ve never made sausage rolls, they’re quite hard to do, the difficulty rating of "1" on the recipe was in my opinion a blatant lie! I bought some low fat sausages and for the first time ever filo pastry graced my shopping bag. I have learnt that I have a look at the recipe, get a vague idea of what should be happening and then do it my way (I blame my love of Frank Sinatra for this)

  I squeezed the sausage meat out of the sausages into a bowl, added some chives, some black pepper and a chopped onion. I then put it into some filo pastry and rolled them up. If I do say so myself they looked OK.
 
There are actual sausage rolls under what looks like a mess of crispy pastry!

 I bunged them in the oven and waited. It soon became apparent that one sheet of filo pastry was not going to be enough, so I kept adding more and more layers, until eventually I think I’d used about 4 on each one. By the time they were done, I’m pretty sure Greggs weren’t having a re-think of their sausage roll strategy!

The sausage roll aftermath (which sounds like a good title for a horror film!)

  I think points wise, the sausage rolls were probably about 5 points each, but they tasted OK and everyone that ate them is still alive and didn’t end up in hospital with a crippling stomach condition, so that in book makes them a success!


  Maybe I should sign myself up for “Master Chef” afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment