Tuesday 12 May 2015

"She's Got a Right Bob on Her Sen" (Nottinghamshire speak for "Doesn't she think she's amazing?")

I got asked yesterday if I was a life coach, because every day I start the day by posting something positive on Facebook. In fact this isn’t the first time I’ve been asked that question and my reason for doing it is simple. Reading a book called “The Secret” really helped me reassess how I was living and whilst some people might think its claptrap, I can guarantee that these are the people that post Facebook statuses such as



You know the sort of statuses that elicit the responses



“The Secret” says what you think about you bring about, so if you think positively, positive stuff will happen because that’s the frame of mind you’re in. Think rubbish horrible thoughts and rubbish horrible things will happen. Read Rhonda Byrne’s book, she puts it far better than me!

  My secret is, that I work at being positive, having suffered from depression and tried to solve that problem by eating, which just made me fat, looking on the bright side doesn’t come easily, but I make it a priority. 

   Just recently, life has been tough, I’ve had a lot of things to deal with and last Thursday I could have cheerfully drowned myself in a vat of Maltesers, but I didn’t. Mainly because my sister Lucy talked me of the Cadbury’s ledge and she was right, I felt so much better for NOT eating the chocolate.



  I’ve struggled to get myself out of bed and paint a smile on the last week or so, but I have. Yesterday, the last thing I felt like doing was picking up my sparkly top hat, cane, fan and feather boa and heading to my Burlesque exercise class, but I did and I’m so glad I did. After an hour of gyrating my hips to such classics as “So Macho” and “Walk this Way” (don’t knock burlesque to an Aerosmith classic till you’ve tried it) I felt better than I had done in days.

  Now love a cheesy tune and a hip wiggle as much as the next woman, but the thing I really love about the class, is that it’s all about feeling good. There are ladies there of all ages and all sizes, but as Beyoncé belted out



 I looked at the faces of the women in the room and I knew that just as I was strutting round my red velour chair flicking my hair about pretending I was Beyoncé, I noticed every other woman in the room was feeling the same. Throughout that one song we all felt good about ourselves, our inner Beyoncé’s had found a voice and were singing loudly.

  You ask most women what she likes about herself and she’ll umm and ahhh. Ask her what she doesn’t like and you’ll be there for hours. Anyone that does say they quite like something about themselves is deemed to be “up their own arse” or if you’re from Nottinghamshire “got a right bob on her sen” and then society attempts to tear down that self confidence until she (or indeed he) feels as rubbish about themselves as the rest of them.

  So I decided to do myself a favour (and maybe you feel like doing the same) but for next week’s blog I’m going to make a list of all the things I actually like about myself and also keep a note of any compliments I receive. If you want to join in then simply comment below or like my Facebook page and send me a message!


And finally, another pound off this week! Slowly, but surely!


No comments:

Post a Comment